Hello summer, where are you???
Despite the rubbish weather we are battling on and playing bat and ball! Well done to all junior teams who are winning games of cricket and doing brilliantly in their respective leagues! This bodes so well for the clubs' future and I know all efforts give all our voluntary coaches and parents such a sense of pride! Talking about coaches and parents, thanks for efforts and patience in getting our juniors to rearranged games! Not much we can do about the weather and as Chairman I really appreciate the last minute change of plan and efforts everyone makes to get the game on. Thank you!
Moving onto the senior section, I wanted to let the wider club know that we had a players' meeting a couple of weeks back which was a very useful exercise. Apart from the AGM, there are not that many opportunities for all players from different sections to talk openly in one room. I would personally like to thank all attendees and I think we all felt that it was a very useful meeting. Summary highlights include:
- All teams to be posted to the Players WhatsApp Group on Friday lunchtime
- Our 2s still need an umpire, I will redouble my efforts and again appeal to all those reading this mail to volunteer or ask a friend / family member to stand in for a game
- We are going to introduce a new post season players' meeting at a date TBA in October. That way we can have a debrief on all playing matters and will help set the scene / agenda for the AGM
- As well as Del Boy submitting articles to be included in the local paper to raise the profile of the club, we have printed some A5 posters (thanks Alex Andrews) for local distribution to noticeboards in parks, schools, pubs, shops, leisure centres etc. If you have some ideas of where these should be displayed to boost junior and senior membership, then please get in touch with me
- The 1s will be hosting a BBQ for the rest of the club on 23rd July. All sections and members welcome! Other parts of the club will be asked to host in the future.....
Finally, as most of you will have seen we have new covers for our table and part of the run ups, also we have a new water mopper called a Bowdry; they are a £4,860 investment! For the record since 2013 we as a club have raised £49,884.34 in third party investment to pay for new male and disabled toilets, new umpire / colts room, new fire exit doors, new nets and now new covers and a Bowdry. I would like to remind all members that the latest award was dependent on the club contributing £860 to the purchase, but this is the first time the club has had to dip into its own pocket; so less than 2% of total investment. On management we justified the expenditure as we, as a minimum, take £100 for each game of cricket we play, so after the cover save us our 9th game, they have 'made us money'. The covers are just three weeks young and the first game has already been saved. Please note that when we go for funding we must (and will under my leadership) use the money specifically in the spirt it was applied for. We as a committee are acutely aware there are areas we need to spend money
- new floor
- new veranda
- new roller
- new outfield mower
- new wicket mower
Under Jane Crick's leadership we do have plans for the pavilion. If anyone has any skills, access to materials or just time, then please let Jane or I know. We will keep you posted on plans / developments......
I say it in every mail because it is true; NECC is as much your club as it is mine and all of us on Management. If you have any ideas, suggestions, observations or thoughts about anything re. North Enfield CC then please let me know.
Many thanks for reading my mails and with very best wishes
Chairman, North Enfield Cricket Club